Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

If wishes were tickets

Do you ever play the 'what if' game of winning the lottery? Someone posted about that recently and it made me think what if I did. Actually, I rarely buy a ticket; I get bored quickly when I don't win anything and don't think about it for six months or more. When I do, I'll calculate what the winnings would be after taxes (govt would take around 40%) and imagine what I'd do with that amount.

I don't play for the big ones, I can't even imagine having 80+ million and wouldn't know how to adjust to that. $100,000 seems like the perfect amount. That would pay all my debt, including the mortgage and leave enough for my son's college education easily. Even the $60,000 that would be left after taxes would allow me to cash-flow the tuition. Ahh, dreams.

Right now the lottery is built up to the point that the payout would be $570,000. This is where the imagination gets to run a bit wild. Solar panels for anyone in the family interested. College funds for my sister's kids. The barn roof!!! In fact, I'd have the whole thing fixed up properly. A privacy fence around my back yard so the dogs aren't driven mad by all the unrestrained dogs in town and the neighbors couldn't ride their four-wheelers and snowmobiles across. Have the well pump on the farm repaired. Maybe even a wind turbine for the farm; it would be the first in the county!

2 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

I would help you spend it! lol!

Anonymous said...

I would buy all my families houses for them...buy out next door and knock the two houses into one. Buy a campervan... buy the house the other side of us for a guest house for all my friends to stay in when they visit!!.