Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Go bag

Before I start this topic I'd like to point out that I haven't seen the 2012 movie and do not believe anything special will be happening then.

That said; do you have a go bag? For those unfamiliar with the term, that would be a bag packed and ready to grab and run out the door with in case of sudden emergency. Examples would be flash flooding or wildfire, basically anything that makes it unsafe to stay home but strikes with minimal warning. Some people keep everything they could imagine needing including MREs, water, first aid kit, weapons...

Imagine for a moment; right now, as you're reading this, you get a phone call that in 5 minutes your house, your neighborhood, everything around you will be flattened. How fast can you get yourself and your family in the car and away? The go bag is supposed to take the pressure off of trying to grab things you will need when your adrenaline is up. One person said that after making a list of things to take, it took him five hours to find it all in his home.

Currently, I don't have one but since I've been reading the Posleen books again; well, let's just accept that this series makes me paranoid about alien invasions. :) I think this weekend would be a good time to work on my list.

4 comments:

Thomas Greenwalt said...

And of course one should keep an emergency winter kit in car in case you go in the ditch and you need to wait for a rescue.

dtbrents said...

I do have a go bag. I live by Nuclear One. I have enjoyed reading your blog. Doylene

Anonymous said...

ok...I am reading backwards through the post so please ignore my comment on your next post...lol.

I don't have a go bag and I've never heard of one thought it's a great idea. I kind of have a go cupboard thought..it has all the important docs in...also the photos...does this kind of count???

As for the car...one of those I don't have so maybe I'm doomed anyway!!!

tpals said...

Even without a car, the bag could be helpful. Take an overnight bag with a change of clothes, bottle of water, something to read or do; add copies of important documents, a small first aid kit, and some food with a long shelf life.

Pack a similar bag for every member of your family and you're covered for most possibilities.