Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Dehydrating

I tried out my dehydrator for the first time. It's a Nesco FD-75PR. My son was given a large bag of free sweet corn which I blanched in boiling water and filled the trays. All five trays held about 17 ears of corn.


In the second batch I ran I broke the sections up into smaller pieces to speed the drying process.

This is what those 17 ears dried down to:
Definitely less labor intensive than pressure canning and takes up much less space also. Freezing would have been faster but then all those bags of corn would have had to stay in the freezer.

I'll be using this again.

2 comments:

Compostwoman said...

Good, aren't they?

I am running the dehydrator ( Excalibur 5 tray) 24/7 at the moment.....so much to dry...!

Tanya. said...

What will you do with the corn now??