Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Hello Exhaustion

A strange start to the day when I looked outside at 5:30 and saw a skunk in the trap the neighbor put in my yard. He's been visited nocturnally by the beastie and wanted it gone. Oddly, it really liked his garbage cans but left my chickens completely alone. I was happy to be suffering from a bad summer head cold with that stink in my yard all day. (And VERY glad I had the foresight to bring in the laundry last night just in case.) From what I've heard at work, skunks are out in droves this year.

The other trouble we've had are the mosquitoes. At times it feels like I've got a target on my back the way they keep attacking. Even liberal spraying with bug spray only discourages the weaker ones. Finally, I dug out a bug zapper I bought a few years ago but never used. Hopefully that will cut down on the population. They really make pulling weeds a challenge when every other weed pull is delayed because of slapping the bugs.

So, after mowing my lawn, I learn my neighbor has borrowed the equipment to cut down the black walnut tree between our driveways. While the shade was nice, the sap spit out by the tree was unpleasant. When it really gets going it is difficult to see out the windshield and it doesn't clean off easily. Watching someone with a chainsaw up that high is very tense for me. By the end of the job my neck and shoulders ached from my nervousness. Plus, hauling the branches and logs around in the hot, sticky weather really sucked out my energy.

I'm so glad the day is done! And now I really need a shower. :)

No comments: