Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Adjusting to diabetes


It's been about six weeks since I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. It's currently being controlled with diet and medication. Fortunately, it was caught early enough that there wasn't any damage to my kidneys and my vision has returned to what it was before (I did enjoy the couple of weeks when my distance vision was so good that I didn't need glasses when driving!).

I keep a blood glucose test kit in my purse and extra meds in case I'm stranded away from home. Once past the emotional response, it hasn't been that bad mostly; because my son is Type 1 I already had most of the information needed. Probably the worst aspect are the side effects which cause frequent stomach pain and general yuckiness. On the plus side: I have been losing weight and am eating healthier.

1 comment:

Tanya. said...

Diabetes is the best thing to have to deal with, You have obviously come to terms with it very well but this has probably had a lot to do with helping out your son. I am glad you found the root of the problem though and that it is now being controlled!!