Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

plantar fasciitis

I can't talk about gardening because it's November and there is nothing to report. There will continue to be nothing until early spring and seed starting. Sigh.


Instead, I'll talk about feet. (I can just imagine the shivers of anticipation now!) For the last year and a half I've had plantar fasciitis in both my feet. Basically, the muscles that cross the heel are injured. Walking any distance or standing for a long time hurts. At night the muscle tightens, so walking first thing in the morning is agony. The cats have learned to stay clear because I tend to stagger. I thought it was getting better because I wasn't having the morning pain and it only bothered me if I overdid the walking, but it's come back full force.


My doctor's advice was to stay off my feet. Not really an option. I tried the night splint but found it too uncomfortable to sleep in. Different shoe inserts, heel pads; don't help. What does seem to make a difference: stretching frequently, never going barefoot and foot rubs. I hope that weight loss will be my most effective long term tool. I've also accepted that spending the extra money on quality shoes is worth it to avoid some of the pain so I ordered a new pair for work.


That's pretty much it for what's on my mind tonight. I will try to get back to posting regularly.

3 comments:

Nathan Mathews said...

I work for a new start-up shoe company, Kuru Footwear and our intention when we launched our shoe company wasn't to create a shoe that helps with Plantar Fasciitis, but we continually hear from our customers that this is the case. I invite you to check out our page on Plantar Fasciitis that we have created - http://www.kurufootwear.com/plantarfasciitis

Thanks,

Nathan

mrsnesbitt said...

Listening to your doctor is important honeybunch! Take Care!

Anonymous said...

Maybe the cold makes it worse...I find that I am naturally stiffer in the winter time and this is due to the different way in which you hold yourself to keep warm...try taking a hot water bottle to bed so that your body doesn't cool so rapidly at night. This may not help but at least it is a cheap thing to try!!