Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Winding down the vacation

Filling in a couple missing days:

Friday I dismantled the guinea pig cage and cleaned. Also, the last of the farm chickens moved out. Happily, Duke went on to another farm where he will attempt to usurp the reigning rooster.

Saturday was supposed to be this gorgeous, sunny day of 60 degrees. Ha! It was cloudy and windy and utterly disappointing. Instead of the outdoors things I planned on, I made a big pot of super soup and started rereading Eragon.

Today was the long awaited nice day! I put plastic over the chicken coop window and built a shelf on the opposite wall to try out a passive solar heating method. I'll paint 2 liter bottles of water black and line them on the shelf to absorb sunlight and hopefully radiate it out at night. The shiny insulation behind the bottles should help with that.

Back to work tomorrow. :(

3 comments:

Tanya. said...

I don't understand what you mean by this.....I'll paint 2 liter bottles of water black and line them on the shelf to absorb sunlight and hopefully radiate it out at night.

Is it something to do with the heater??/

Eragon is a very good book!!

Tanya. said...

Where have the farm chickens moved to?? How many chickens have you kept??

tpals said...

I kept 14 of the younger hens. My parents were going to cull the old hens this year anyway, instead they went to a vietnamese family who didn't have any emotional attachments.