Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Turning the corner

We had our first snowfall last night. How odd yet lovely to see everything plastered in white icing. It did all melt during the day, but we're forecast to get more tonight.

It was tough decision making time for me in the chicken yard. Because of where we live, for much of the winter the chickens prefer to stay inside. Something about walking in snow offends them.The problem is that with the thirteen chicks grown up, it's too crowded for everyone to move around comfortably. Add in that five are identifiably young, aggressive roosters that have begun fighting and something had to change. Mycroft gets to stay on as Junior Rooster under Frodo, but the others are being culled. It's one of the hardest things I do, but since I'm not a vegetarian, it is logical to face openly the source of the meat I eat. I'll probably cry though.

I found a very interesting article/post about the lifestyle choices we tend to make:

http://www.raptitude.com/2010/07/your-lifestyle-has-already-been-designed/
I can definitely see a lot of myself in there. Making the choice to cut back on hours worked is something that I often dream of, but how many actually make that change voluntarily? Thought provoking.

No comments: