Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

The 'did' list

I've been watching the weather forecast carefully and when I spotted a dry trend I arranged to take two days off work to take advantage of it.

Not everything was done outside though. By sheer luck, today was when the chimney sweeps were working our area and I was able to be here and let them inside. The result: a clean and swept stove ready for winter.

Disclaimer: two days, while wonderful, is not enough to weed all of my garden area. Especially when there are other projects I wanted to work on as well. But it is looking much better for the attention.

The small garden with potatoes, lettuce, onions and gorgeous rhubarb. I also added a row of shell peas between the potato rows which are just emerging.



My new toy: a Hoss cultivator. Besides the obvious benefit of not needing gas or electricity, I love the silence so I can listen to the birds while using it. I borrowed my parents' electric tiller last year, which was handy but it took nearly as much work to operate as this (although that workout was in my arms and this uses my leg muscles).

The rows I've already cultivated are obvious.
My big garden is a bit of a hodgepodge of plantings: cabbages, onions, leeks, green beans, cosmos, zinnias, beets, spinach, garlic, field corn, cucumbers, flax, kale, shell peas, sugar snap peas, carrots, and clumps of self seeded lettuce and dill. I've still got an abundance of zucchini in the freezer so have chosen not to grow any squash at all this year.


This is one of my other projects. My hosta patch was fighting a grass, sapling, and weed incursion which I cleared out. I also took three hooks that were overgrown around the deck and zip-tied them together to hold new hanging plants.

I had to leave the purple wildflower because the bees love it.





The forecast is calling for rain to start tonight and into the weekend. Whew! I can rest.

No comments: