Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

What a night!

We got hit by the first serious spring storm last night with high winds, hail and over 3" of rain. The power was out for about 3 hours and we did go down to the basement at one point. That rain was in addition to the 2" we had already received in the two days before. My petunias were shredded and the onion sets I had spaced out so carefully are in a jumbled mess from the downpour. Sigh. There's nothing to do about it now because it's all mud. I'm glad I didn't get anything else planted out because it would have been washed away. On the bright side: we didn't get a tornado and nobody was hurt.

Observation: although we are physically well prepared to deal with a power outage, mentally it is very hard to deal with. I plugged the fridge and freezer into the solar batteries, lit the Aladdin lamp, and we both had ways to read and electronic gadgets with batteries but with the storm booming in the background I found it difficult to settle down. I'm not sure what can be done about that so I'll be thinking about it.

1 comment:

Tanya. said...

Hope the weather gets better soon!!

I have an ipod and always have it charged and ready as it helps me settle and block out the noise of the storms when they come.