Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Errant Thoughts Story, Part 13

Mrs. Perkins pushed the shopping cart while Susan pulled the two-wheeled trolley around the grocery store. They both enjoyed these excursions; taking their time and discussing prices compared to quality. While Mrs. Perkins was careful with her money, she could still afford to shop here; yet never made Susan feel bad for buying her food at the discount store.

While making her tea selection, they were approached by a woman and three children, "Can you spare some money, please? I have nothing left until the end of the month and the food banks are closed. Please, for my children? My boyfriend cleaned out my bank account. We've got nothing to eat!"

"Oh, dear! I'm so sorry. I really can't spare much." Mrs. Perkins handed over a ten dollar bill.

The woman gushed her thanks before turning expectantly to Susan who said, "I don't have any money at all." There was a glint of anger in the woman's eyes before she herded the children away.

After a few minutes of silence, Susan decided to discuss what had just happened. "If I may ask, you've been helping your family financially, haven't you?"

"Yes, of course. When needed."

"And when they ask for help, do you send the money right away?"

Mrs. Perkins quirked an eyebrow as though she suspected where this conversation was headed, but answered, "No, we talk it over together, considering what we can spare and how badly they are in need."

"So, you hold your family to a higher standard than a complete stranger." Susan kept her tone carefully neutral.

"Well, we know them so well, it's only natural. For example, we know our youngest son is a bit lazy and likely to ask for money from us first before trying to figure out his own problems. But if our daughter asks, it must be dire need. What else can be done for a stranger we have no knowledge about?"

"How about telling her to pick out ten dollars of food and you will buy it for her? Or ask her what she needs most and offer to buy it?"

"Hmm, she might actually learn more that way about getting the most food for her money. Now I'm curious about what she buys." Mrs. Perkins bustled away, looking right and left between the aisles, but they didn't find the family again. Susan kept silent about her suspicions that the woman wasn't spending the money on food at all.

As they left the store, they were accosted twice more by panhandlers in the parking lot. Mrs. Perkins was able to pass them by without a qualm, knowing all she had left in her purse was small change. Walking slowly so Susan could maneuver the trolley over the rough sidewalk, they discussed the lack of news about the ongoing depression.

Part 14

3 comments:

Rain said...

Smart Susan! :)
I had a guy bug me for money in a parking lot once, saying his car broke down and all he needed was a few more dollars for the tow truck. I figured he was full of it so I told him I had a CAA membership, would he like me to call for him? I said that it wouldn't cost me anything because I had unlimited service. Oh no,he says...I have my own "guy" but he only takes cash and he really knows my car well. I was going to ask which was his car, but it didn't really matter lol...he was just panhandling!

Leigh said...

Interesting aspect for the story.

Dan used to give money to anybody who asked, until the time he volunteered to help a guy find work. Went to great lengths to find a job and arrange an interview for the young man, who never bothered to show up. That's when he started wondering about people's motives. He's still willing to help folks but doesn't just hand over money. Like Susan says in the story, he's offered to buy food, but amazingly they often turn him down, even though that's supposedly what they want the money for.

tpals said...

My grandfather was considered a 'soft touch' for a sob story and probably got taken advantage of many times. And yet, he was well-loved and a wonderful man.