Pages

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Super Soup!

Some days just feel right to put a big pot of soup on the stove to simmer away and today was one of those days.

This is my favorite homemade soup. I start with about five pounds of carrots.


Diced tomatoes give a liquid base and lots of beans. I have cooked beans before, but canned beans are easy. The southwestern bean salad gives the soup an extra kick of flavor.


This is what it looks like when all the ingredients are in and cooking except the baked beans which would turn to mush. What else goes in depends on what's on hand; in the summer there is likely to be leeks and celery. This time the onions came from my freezer, bell peppers were dehydrated and broth from a jar.

How many baked beans get added depends on my tastebuds. It's also very thick and some would probably prefer it a bit runnier.

Nutrition is based on average ingredients; I don't weigh and calculate each time I make this.

1 cup serving: calories 180, fat 1g, fiber 9g, protein 8g

3 comments:

Leigh said...

That looks really good, especially considering that this is still soup weather! Love carrots and anything with beans.

Freebirde said...

For people that want the flavor without as much salt, add a can of diced tomatoes with green chili (Rotel). The hot chili makes it taste savory without adding salt.

Susan said...

I'll have to look for something similar to the southwestern salad beans. That sounds like a great way to easily add some zing to your soup. In this weather, I could live on soup - and usually do.