Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Updates and thinking

What a great weekend! The weather cooperated and the shed is now completely framed in, including the roof trusses. Next step will be walls. It's taken all summer to get to this point but I have no regrets about choosing to build my own instead of buying a complete shed or a kit to put together.

Every time I see my son now it seems as though he's become more mature and settled within himself. Part of it is probably that I really see him after he has been away all week. I'm careful not to become a nagging or busybody mom by giving him his space.

There's something I've been thinking through and I'm going to try to put it down here; some of my thoughts are still a bit tangled. I've spoken to a number of friends, family, and co-workers about the need to prepare for emergencies. Some of the responses are surprising, not at all what I'd expect from that person.

Examples:
My parents, deeply religious and believing God will stop anything massively cataclysmic before it happens, took right to the idea of prepping, bug out bags, and food stores.

An extremely intelligent co-worker, close to my age with children, is firmly in the 'run to Walmart and buy supplies in a crisis' mindset; although he has jumped on board getting out from under his debt.

Another co-worker, young and free of responsibilities, has started food stockpiling and, even more important, is learning to grow his own. He is also open to making more changes.

My supervisor, young and married, listens and seems to recognise the wisdom behind prepping. Yet, when it comes to taking action, he continues the 'business as usual' consumer lifestyle.

My brother and his partner have begun looking for a new home outside the city and plan on getting out before they lose their options.

So, what conclusions am I considering? I think the older generation has experienced so much that preparing for the worst is simple common sense (wisdom is supposed to accompany age, after all). There are a great many people who are under so much stress in normal life that they can't process the frightening future that is possible; it would just create panic and depression to add to the problems they can't cope with now. Some young people surprised me by being resilient enough to accept a dark future as a challenge to examine and meet. Others aren't ready to imagine a time when the comforts and luxuries they've worked so hard to acquire might disappear and render everything they've achieved as a waste of time.

I believe it's very important not to let fear paralyze you or dictate your life. My son is aware that something could happen at any time to completely alter our lives yet he chooses to pursue his studies of military history. Be prepared for tomorrow and enjoy life today.

1 comment:

Tanya. said...

I think your son is very wise...I am probably not 'prepared' for anything that life will throw at me but I know that who I am as a person will make me rise to and try to adapt to anything that could happen. I hope that this is something I have passed onto my children to as you obviously have to your son!!