Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Improvising

Last week we got rain! Definitely a shock, although we should have expected it since the weatherman predicted a 20% chance. ;)

I had to do a very quick onion harvest before the showers arrived and left them sitting in mud. It's been very humid in the meantime and I haven't been able to put the onions out on the deck to dry as I normally would.


My improvised drying rack is a childproof gate in the living room. This may not look like much of a harvest to some of the bloggers I read with their hundreds of onions, shallots and leeks, but for us it's an abundance. If these store well we will be set for the whole winter which is great news because store bought onions don't keep well at all for me. The last two years the onions either rotted in the ground or didn't attain any size so I'm tickled with this.