Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Damn it!

I hate opossums. Given that, what happened was entirely my fault and I'm kicking myself.

Since I hadn't seen any signs of the possum for the last week, I assumed it had moved on. Wrong. Then, last night I was too freaking lazy to go back out and shut up the coops. Three dead chicks and one wounded. All. My. Fault.

Update: About 2/3rds of the chicks were too scared to go back into their coop tonight. I found 1/3rd in the honeysuckle bush behind the coop. Feeling really bad about the missing ones when I go to shut up the grown-up coop...and there they were! They must have decided it was safer with the big chickens. So, I've learned my lesson and everyone is locked up tight for the night. I also put a trap inside the pen. Hopefully the opossum likes ham salad.

1 comment:

Mama Pea said...

It's happened to all of us. A convergence of happenings that make sense at the time . . . it's not going to rain so leaving the car windows open is not a big deal, there's no wind forecast so I'm not going to go out to flatten the solar panels, I'm bone-tired so leaving the chicken house open this one night will be okay. Maybe all we can do is chalk it up to a good (bad?) lesson and gaining knowledge for next time. Sorry about the chicks. I know how it feels. :o(