Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2018

And so on

I haven't posted in a while; not really a lot of fun stuff to report: winter, work, bad cold, blah blah blah.

I trapped an opossum in the chicken coop on an evening when my son was home, so he shot it for me. Yay!

I've been knitting an ear warmer/headband for my mom. About halfway through I realized I misread the instructions; instead of size 10 needles, it said UK10 which should have been size 3. Being too stubborn to start over, I will have to figure out a way to double it up so it doesn't end up looking like a hat with a hole in the top.

Tonight I feel equal measures of virtuous and rebellious: I ate a lettuce salad made from romaine bought the day before the recall. Honestly, I'm not at all worried about illness; none of the reported cases were anywhere near me, 43 illnesses out of how many millions of lettuces eaten is pretty good odds and I'm the only one at risk since my son doesn't eat lettuce willingly.

Oh, yes, a weather update: we were forecast to have an ice storm followed by snow with blizzard type winds. The news has been howling about it for days. And we got...no ice and a dusting of snow. At least they were right about the winds, but it's not that cold so even those don't seem so terrible.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I am adding romaine seeds to my spring seed list this year - I will not go without romaine! This should be a wake-up call to all gigundo farming outfits, not to mention consumers. All this greyness has really sapped my enthusiasm for fall and winter. There is not enough vitamin D to keep me going. It's time for major hugge!!

Rain said...

I never even heard about the Romaine problem...I read about it lately though. Last year I grew my own and it turned out really well! We don't buy lettuce anymore, only eat what we plant. Hope you're having a nice early winter!