Pages

Monday, December 10, 2018

Best not to compare

What I get done is laughable compared to other bloggers, but I felt really good about washing the dishes and cleaning the bathroom this weekend. So good, in fact, that I rewarded myself with a new bookshelf to keep everything I want close by my favorite chair. Top shelf has a basket of yarn, jar of needles and a salt lamp. Next down is a stack of knitting and sketch books, knit kit, pencils, scissors and current project yarn. Down again is kleenix, remotes, current project, kindle and gun (in case the zombies break in suddenly). Bottom shelf holds more knitting books and open space for other items I haven't thought of yet.

My other reward for such amazing accomplishments (cough, cough) was starting a new knitting project and watching Flambards. Of course, now the theme song is running constantly in my head.

Does anyone have a convenient way to store circular knitting needles? I looked online and really like the idea of a cloth container with pouches marked with the needle sizes, but the ones I found  seemed either overpriced or shipped from China at such a low price it did not bode well.

7 comments:

Susan said...

That sounds like Heaven to me! I would like to point out that, with all the stuff I did get done, the bathroom remains untouched... I had the same problem with circular needles. I finally got a multi-drawered storage unit that has small drawers and I have set up my circular needles by size, separated by cardboard dividers. So far, it's working. What is your new knitting project? I can't wait until gift knitting is over and I can knit something I want! (I'm so ungracious...)

Rain said...

Sounds like my bookcase, minus the gun (for now!) :) Hmmm...I keep my knitting needles all in a dollar store bin. The circular needles just stay in their packages. I do like the idea of the cloth container, can you make one?

tpals said...

Did you know I was thinking of you, Susan? ;)

The new project is a pair of arm warmers.

Rain, I would love to make one, but I'm not very confident. Will have to think about it some more.

Leigh said...

I envy your reading and knitting time! For my circular needles, I knitted a swatch about 4 inches by 14 - 16 inches or so. I found buttons with numbers on them and sewed them at about one-inch intervals down the swatch. I run my circs through the swatch where their numbered button is. The swatch is on a dowel that can be hung anywhere convenient. I can choose a particular size circular needle at a glance now. Or at least I could if I had time to knit!

tpals said...

Leigh, isn't that what winter is for? While the ground is dormant and the animals on maintenance, what better time to enjoy some indoors activities? With the side effect of resting up ourselves before Spring brings back the mad pace.

Freebirde said...

Would something like a soft eye glass case work? My wife and a friend made several hundred to send down to Belize on a medical missionary trip. Start with a piece of cloth like a quilting square about 6" x 6", serge the top, fold sideways, and serge the bottom and sides. You can change the size to fit your needs.

Freebirde said...

Another thing, if you want to keep them in a particular order, get a notebook or photo album with the photo protector for the larger photos and put them in each slot,