Pages

Monday, January 28, 2019

News from the frost front

I started a new job at a hospital today. Yay! Much to learn. One of my tasks today was to do a 'back screening' with a physical therapist. All my new co-workers moaned and said it's awful but I won't get fired for failing and I only have to do it once.

I didn't think it was that bad. After I explained about my history of back problems and the bad knee, he found ways to work with me. The funniest part was the wall squat, which is what most people do the worst on. I kept my bad knee straight so most of my weight was on one leg, but had no trouble holding the position. The PT commented on my strong legs and said I did better on that test than the other parts. I chose not to mention that my legs carry a very large amount of weight every day so they better be strong.

We're heading for the worst cold snap of this winter. The forecast calls for tomorrow's high to be -10F and a brutal low of -34F. Wednesday is supposed to be worse. These numbers are before the winds are factored in. Yikes.

6 comments:

Raymond said...

Good for you! I still enjoy this little bit of info from someone I consider a close acquaintance. I have a brother in law in Wisconsin who is expecting really cold cold. (If the temperature today is O? And, the weather man says it will be twice as cold tomorrow, how cold will it be?)
Can you spit up in the air and catch ice cubes?

Good luck Tpal with the job and the weather.

Raymond

Susan said...

Sounds like a good move - I bet you were happy to leave the retail industry! Be careful outside, and watch for black ice. Stay safe and warm and best of luck with your career change!

Mama Pea said...

Always exciting to start a new job. Hope this is a good one for you and that after the "break in" period you enjoy it very much.

Yep, we're in the frigid weather period right now, too. Schools are closed today and Wednesday because of the extreme wind chills. I have no urge to go out there for anything that's not absolutely necessary! No way.

Leigh said...

Congrats on the new job! Sounds like you aced your test. Hopefully you'll enjoy this job.

tpals said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm only going out for the chickens today. Even the mailman isn't delivering today!

Rain said...

Congrats on the new job...and your strong legs!!! :) Stay warm, we have that deep freeze starting again next week...brrrr....