Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Stretching my brain muscles

I made it through the first week of my new job. So much to learn! Every other patient I have to jump up and ask someone how to do something. By the end of the month I should have new insurance cards down pat. :)

Each morning when I get dressed I send a mental 'thank you so much' to my sister who sent me her ENTIRE wardrobe of business/dressy tops. Not having appropriate clothes can be very stressful; I will definitely support the charities who help with that.

Back to the weather (because that's what small talk is in South Dakota), we started warming up on Friday and Saturday was gorgeous. Almost too nice because today didn't go above freezing and all the mush has frozen into bumpy, slick walking hazards. Back to normal tomorrow with the highs only reaching single digits above zero.

It's been fun to see the chickens traipsing back and forth between the two coops after a week shut inside. Kraken has a bad case of frostbit comb, but it isn't slowing him down at all. In important news: I finally settled on a name for my stealth rooster; he's a buff-laced polish and waited to start crowing until after the extra roosters were moved out of the flock. Slender, jumpy and quick to run away...he is a Rincewind through and through. (If you don't get the reference, get yourself to the library and read Terry Pratchett!)

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

With the relaxed (or totally missing) dress code these days, some people believe "clothes don't make the (wo)man" but I tend to disagree. I think you act and people react to you according to the way you are dressed. How can one look professional when wearing ripped jeans and a loose, floppy shirt hanging off one shoulder? It might be because I'm a dinosaur when it comes to looking "put together" but I agree that not having appropriate clothes for the job can be very stressful. End of rant.

Hooray, it's still cold here (only single digits and snow this morning) but our chickens are starting to lay a respectable number of eggs again, I don't know Terry Pratchett so your "Rincewind" name went right over my head!

Susan said...

Having clothes that you can throw on without worrying if they're "right" is such a blessing! I take any and all offerings from my friends who have better taste and larger budgets than I do. Are you suffering from weather whiplash? We sure are!

Leigh said...

Okay, I have some reading to do! So glad to hear the new job is going well. The right wardrobe really helps; glad that worked out too! Will you have any time for writing?

tpals said...

Leigh, I hope to, will depend on how well I settle in.