Pages

Sunday, December 22, 2019

Join me down memory lane?

I have a decent dvd selection; nowhere near as extensive as some I've seen simply because I try to limit my purchases to things I'll want to watch again. Even so, I've made some mistakes. For example: I won't watch I, Legend twice because I can't bear to see the dog die, which I should have realized before buying it.

I used to know someone who had hundreds of movies bought and kept on the cloud. He would keep buying even with dozens that he hadn't got around to watching even once. Personally, I prefer to have a physical copy just so I can watch even if the internet is down locally. Technically, I could also watch off the solar batteries if the power was out, but the television tends to be a power hog, so it's doubtful I would make that choice.

This weekend, I went browsing in my dvd library for something to strike my fancy and got the 'aha!' moment when I spotted M*A*S*H. We used to watch it as a family when I was young and it's triggered a lot of memories. Like only having three network channels and PBS to choose from (and only those if the weather was good). We didn't even own a vcr; we had to go to town to rent one. The patience my parents must have had to deal with the choosing the movie to rent debates. Some things you don't really appreciate until you look back after many years.

Now I'm just regretting not having bought more than the first two seasons of the show.

3 comments:

Mama Pea said...

When we first moved up here to northern Minnesota, I remember renting a movie from the library and lugging the player (also from the library) home in order to watch the movie. At the time, we didn't even have a good electrical system and had to fire up the the big, loud and noisy generator outside to power it all. Good days? Happily our daughter has very fond memories of growing up as she did. It was a lot of work and a full time job to keep things going . . . but, yes, good memories, too.

Susan said...

I loved MASH! It's funny that people now have hundreds of channels to choose from and don't like any of them. I haven't watched television for close to 15 years and I don't miss it one little bit. I have a small set and a DVD player for my Netflix discs and, of course, my Christmas movies!

Leigh said...

I used to enjoy MASH too. I'd forgotten about that show! We have no TV, but our library is pretty good about buying whole series. So we've seen a lot of good shows that way. Just got started on Camelot. So far so good. :)