Pages

Friday, July 31, 2020

It's only money

I had to take my car in to be worked on today. It took them five hours so that gives an inkling of the cost. I was also the only person in the dealership wearing a mask and I didn't feel at all bad about wearing an N95 with a vent. If they don't care enough to mask up then I'm not losing any sleep about my mask not protecting them.

After a couple hours crocheting, my son came to take me out to lunch. We wore masks inside then sat in the outdoor eating area. This was my first time eating out since January! And I suspect it will be a very long time before it happens again. Afterwards he drove me around the vo-tech campus he's attending and the hospital campus where he works. It was lovely to spend time with him again; he's normally very busy and can't isolate so we must be cautious.

The first thing I did when I got my car was roll down the windows so the wind could clean out any infected air. Then I wiped down the seat and everything that might have been touched before I got in.

What I've discovered about masks is after the first 20 to 30 minutes, I don't even notice I'm wearing one. And that's with such a snug fit that I have pressure creases on my face (a tight seal is necessary to get the most out of an N95 or else why not just use a cloth mask?) BUT, in the fifth hour I began to get a headache from the straps. It didn't matter how I moved them, the pressure was painful. The good news is that as soon as I could safely take the mask off, the headache went away immediately.

So, that was my day. The chickens were thrilled to see me home again and I have some nice pictures of them to share soon.

1 comment:

Mama Pea said...

I don't think we'll ever come to a consensus of whether we should all be wearing masks or not. Sigh. My mask is one I made myself and I'm okay wearing it for about an hour but then I start to feel claustrophobic (have never had that feeling before) and I'm convinced my brain power starts to decline. Fortunately, I don't have to wear it for extended periods of time. I don't know how I would have made it through your ordeal at the car repair place. I haven't eaten out since this all began and don't feel comfortable thinking about doing it. ('Course, I eat out very, very seldom anyway so it's no big deal.) Looking forward to your chicken pictures!