Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2022

Winter?

Because everyone needs a little chaos in their lives, I adopted these two farm kittens, Solo on the left and Fury. You know that thing about cats being independent? These two always want to be in the same room as me. 2:00 a.m. play session has to be on my bed.

Fury has issues with being picked up. He goes full tornado mode, claws and teeth. No, the nape of the neck doesn't work on him. So, I don't pick him up, but I am slowly subverting him and he climbed into my lap for the first time yesterday!


These are my outside plants, brightening up the basement for the winter.


I read an interesting BBC article on the effects of cooler houses on people. Basically, anything below 64F and the body starts to work to protect the internal organs. They took it down to 50F since that's what UK houses would settle at without heating on average.

At that point blood flow to the brain is down 20%, blood pressure, breathing rate and heart rate go up. It's why there are more strokes and heart attacks in winter. 

Of course, living here not having heating would be a lot worse than 50F. Normally, I aim for high 50s, but this winter I'm going to up that to a 64F minimum.

3 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Congrats on the new chaos-creating additions to the family! You'll be in for a whirlwind of action in your house this winter. You must be one tough cookie to survive in the cold months here in Minnie-soda with such a low temp in your abode. I must admit I would fare better under those conditions than my tall and lanky husband. We women just naturally have more insulation on our bodies than men do!

mrsnesbitt said...

How lovely - how are they doing now? (January 2023)
Happy New Year
Dx

tpals said...

Wintering flowers still blooming like crazy and the boys are zooming all over the house. Our happy family.