Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Fab time of year

This is one of the things I did on my birthday over the weekend. It's not a great quantity but there is something deeply satisfying about canning food grown myself.


I finally started making the 10 day crisp pickles. Ten medium cucumbers covered in boiling water. For the next four days I'll drain the pot and fill with more boiling water each evening.

I took today off work to take advantage of the lovely weather. My dad came over and we finally got the floor of the coop in place. The wall studs are also cut and the brackets attached. I'm adding a recycled window to the south side of the coop. It's not in the plans but shouldn't be too difficult to incorporate. This will provide natural light and I can open it in the warm months to let in fresh air.

1 comment:

Tanya. said...

the jars look very tasty.

What do you do with your cucumbers, (or are they pickles?) after the four days??

Can't wait to see the new coop!