Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Turkey tales


I learned something new about turkeys this weekend. When I went to shut the barn Friday night, Emerson hadn't gone inside. Even though Amelia, his turkey hen, was already in and roosting for the night he kept walking around calling out.

Finally, I spotted the problem, a chicken hen wouldn't go in and he was trying to get her to safety. I had to chase her inside and all was well. Very interesting to learn that a turkey would be protective of chickens!

These rather blurry pictures show the morning exodus out of the barn. It moves fast!



1 comment:

Tanya. said...

wow...I never thought of turkeys of being an animal that would flock and be protective of it's flock...but they do live in large numbers so I suppose if you think about it logically it makes sense...now all you have to do is teach him to make them leave the barn in the morning in an orderly fashion...lol