Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Getting pickled




It's been a busy evening, but sometimes that's the only way to get things done here. I rang up my hay man and arranged to pick up 5 bales to feed the guinea pigs for the next year. Since I don't mind taking the bales with loose strings he threw in a bale of straw for free. That will be for my hens when I get the coop up.

Then, I made my first batch of bread and butter pickles. I have no idea what they will taste like, but all nine pints have sealed nicely and it's good to have something made from the cucumbers and onions out of my very own garden. There is another pickle recipe I'm considering...it's a good thing I don't go out much, it takes 10 days to make!

1 comment:

Tanya. said...

I have never been a huge pickle lover in past years but as i grow more of my own I find myself experimenting more and this year I am hoping to try some pickles too....what pickle will you make that takes 10 days??? Very curious to know!