Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

RIP Galahad/Gandalf




It wasn't until I started looking for pictures of my retired rooster that I realized how bad I am at getting the camera out and using it often. This was the best I could find of Galahad, head rooster for years until he retired to the farm with a few select hens to live in peace. There he lived in safety and pampered comfort; even renamed Gandalf until old age finally caught up.

In other chicken news: last night when I went to close up the coop I heard squawking and found an opossum had two hens on the floor. After rescuing them, I didn't want to leave it alone in there while I went back for a gun so I called my neighbor and asked if she wanted to come over and shoot it. Naturally, as a farmer's daughter, she jumped at the chance.

Fun fact: in Norwegian chicken is kylling.

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Another really good reason to be thankful for wonderful neighbors you can call . . . when you need to call!

Susan said...

It's quite a nice tribute to your rooster - and how nice that you let him retire with his own little harem. If I could be sure that I would have a 'nice' rooster, I'd have one again, but the odds are not in my favor. I'd hesitate to call any of my neighbors, as they would shoot anything that moved - just to be sure.

tpals said...

Oh dear, and I'm spoiled for choice with roosters. I've asked my mom to take a young one with pretty green feathers so I don't have to kill it.

I am very, very lucky regarding neighbors.

Leigh said...

Wow! Close call! What great timing on your part.

I know what you mean about picture taking. Lately, it seems I'm often wishing I had taken more pictures of various things.