Pages

Friday, April 28, 2023

Thoughts and things

The siren test happens around noon on Fridays here. It's sounding right now. My first reaction is always "The Germans are coming!" because I've watched a lot of WWII movies. Probably should change that to the Russians.

Chicks began hatching yesterday, day 20 in the incubator. Seven out and more working on it today. Usually they start earlier than that so I thought it was going to be a small hatch rate. I still think I'll hatch out a second batch because food prices aren't likely to improve. 

Poor Gru, my wild turkey, all puffed up and gobbling, but no ladies to admire him in his spring finery.

It's still cold for the end of April, about a month behind. The lilac leaf buds are just starting. 

1 comment:

Mama Pea said...

Congrats on your newly hatched chicks! We have four broody hens with about three eggs underneath each. 'Bout three more weeks until we see what comes of it. We're hoping to get just enough replacement hens so they might start laying about the first of next year. Good luck to you with yours!