Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chicken news

Something has been eating the chickens at the farm (probably raccoons) so Tuesday night we went over and caught seven that look likely to be hens. They've now joined my little flock. I was always planning on this, just not quite this soon.

Lion - in front - is as large as the adult hens already.


Zen coming over to say hello.


The little bearded bird is Sherlock - master of disguise.

Smoke


New kids stick together.

Lion, Smoke, Bear, and Zen are all offspring of Frodo and my older hens. Sherlock and the Ninja Twins (all black pair) came from the mail order chicks. There are a few others I'll be bringing over soon, two of the Duchess' daughters among them.

It's interesting that out of the eight hatching eggs from Frodo, at least six are hens. But his father, Duke, produced 100% roosters.

3 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Always love chickens preening - lovely to see them in their space...doing what comes naturally!

Compostwoman said...

Oh poo! Racoons are I guess like foxes are to me...|:-(

Nice looking pullets and I hope they are ok and escape the racoons...!

Tanya. said...

Hope your hens soon get settled...and hope you catch the critter that's attacking them at the farm.