Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Wasteful

There was a recent article on the local news site about how people spend an average of $125,000 on clothes in a lifetime. The reporter interviewed a clothes store owner who thought the figure was low. The obvious reason is that most people don't buy their clothes at an expensive 'boutique' type shop. Most can't afford that lifestyle.

Oddly enough, if it was a priority, I could shop in places like that...but why would I want to? I spend maybe $200 a year (probably less) to replace work clothes that get ratty and worn. Nobody expects engineers to be fashionable which is great because, honestly, I think the young women who do wear the latest styles look rather trashy.

What bothers me the most is the waste. So much money, time and resources wasted on clothes and shoes that are rarely practical and are treated almost as disposable. Often compounding the problem is the debt that is incurred for something so very transitory. Reading the article made me ashamed to be part of a culture/country that has its priorities so messed up.

1 comment:

Tanya. said...

I think I am one of the 'abnormal' women who hate to shop. I do it out of necessity for food and tend to ask for any clothes I need to replace for Christmas and birthdays.

I'm lucky enough to not have changed shape or size over the years so I still have clothes for going out that I got 23 years ago, I have never really been one to wear the latest fashions so it doesn't bother me if they are outdated...I wear what I think looks nice on me and that's that!!