Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Events and changes

I've noticed an apathy towards blogging lately; largely due to a lack of anything new happening (hot and dry over and over and over again). Today, for the first time in over a month we got measurable rain! Only 0.15" but it rained! It was such a gentle rain that none was wasted in run off; instead, every drop was soaked in immediately.

Thanks to google I found a method to deal with the raccoon predators dining on fresh chicken daily. I can report that it works and if any reader needs more information please ask in the comments.

Drought has caused some extra problems here. One thing I've never seen before is an increase in the chemical warfare the black walnut trees are engaged in; normally they spit out growth inhibitors in the spring but this year it's gotten worse along with the drought. I can't even use my clothesline because it leaves sticky streaks on the laundry. The other immediate affect is the failure of any of my squash plants to set fruit after blossoming. This is very disappointing.

On the positive side: the cucumbers are producing fairly well. Today I made 5 pints of bread and butter pickles. These I made for my parents: I prefer dill and my son is 'meh' about any pickles.

Therapy continues on my shoulder. Early days, yet.

2 comments:

Judy T said...

Sounds very similar to here. Hot, Dry. We got 0.05 inches of rain yesterday and a shower this morning (I haven't been to check the gauge yet) Nothing much exciting. I, too, have found I haven't been blogging as often. Who knows....
Heal well.

Judy

Tanya. said...

Isn't it weird how none of your squash are producing fruit except the cucumbers when they are the fruit with the highest water content. Of course here it has been the total opposite and our crop failures are due to heavy rain, no sun and cold...the last week has been better mind you but as is always with the UK we jump from one extreme to another.

Wishing you luck with your shoulder therapy.